Drumgallagh National School


Go to content

Main menu:


Shean Lodge

Parish History

Shean lodge


There is a lodge in Shean. It was built in 1865. The first cement used in Ballycroy was used on 'Shean Lodge'. The first people that owned the lodge were the Lumsdens. The Craigies now own it. They come to the lodge when they are shooting birds or Fishing. A river runs by the lodge it is named the 'Owen Duff'. It is twenty-five miles long. It is the longest river is Ballycroy. It is also a good salmon river in that area. You can catch brown trout and sea trout as well. It starts on a mountain called Scardaun. In the lodge there are two Bathrooms, eight bedrooms, a kitchen, a washing room, a gunroom, a rod room, where the fishing rods are kept, and a table tennis room. Oxen drew the stones that were used for the lodge. The lodge has had a lot of changes since it was built. The meaning of Shean is a fairy fort. But there are no fairies in Shean.


Home | Information | Events | Green School | Active School | Annual Concerts | School Sports | School Activities | School tours | Poetry Selection | Parish History | Credit Union Quiz | Sacraments | Policies | School Self Evaluation | Site Map


, All articles and photographs are the property of Drumgallagh National School and are not to be used without permission. | drumgallaghns.ias@eircom.net

Back to content | Back to main menu